Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Do a google search on that one and you'll get 80+ million hits. Now if folks aren't asking... haven't been asking that question since the dawn of awareness, my name isn't G-U-Y...

Now MY little one and I are Christian, and many look to their faith for the answer. MY little one will tell you that I'm not judgemental. But some blame God, and some more hedonisic folks just ignore the question in favor of immediate bratification (did I say that)... that was a Freudian typo... I meant gratification (wicked grins)...

But seriously now... and I won't drag this out... There are two statements that sum it up best, neither of which are faith focused...

Helen Keller said... "Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

And someone said (I don't know who) that... "Given an infinite universe and the question, what might happen... the answer is inevitably... anything."

I submit that "good people" are out there roaming the universe... taking risks... interacting HARD with life and making good things happen... they're being faithful to their "worthy purpose", so it's inevitable that they encounter people and things that are not so good... it's highly probable they will suffer at some point in their lives... it's damn certain their mortal bodies will wind up dust.

And yet, their lives are a testimony to goodness and our sense of goodness... and their legacy is all the more motivation for WE to follow faithfully in their hard won footsteps.

As for me... My "worthy purpose" is MY little one... (celebrating my good fortune and my blessings)...

Hey little girl (swattin your behind)... I AM YOUR GUY !!

1 Old Comments:

Bratification works !!

I KNEW you'd have a "philisophical" comment to that question. You never let me down. *grin*

*yelpin from your swat* welllll, I am YOUR BRAT!!!

By Blogger little one, at 19/10/05 7:07 AM